Lemon Syrup Cake
Words & images_Caroline Kemp. Recipe_Hungry Feel Eating House.
Love lemons but not sure what to do with them? It's that time of year where the verge larder is brimming with citrus. As we farewell the last of this seasons verge grown limes we welcome beautiful lemons. We caught up with Chris White and Larissa Welch, the dynamic pair behind Hungry Feel Eating House and grabbed their recipe for lemon syrup cake. Local, and the cake sounds familiar? This delicate number is a staple at Hungry Feel. Turn up any day of the week (except Sunday and Monday when they close for rest, relaxation and a little time in the kitchen garden) and you are bound to find a beautiful big syrup cake sitting proud as punch on the front counter. For those of you who didn't know, Larissa and Chris are residents of Urban Food Street. Between Hungry Feel's back kitchen garden and the Urban Food Street larder, approximately 20 percent of the fresh produce used in the Hungry Feel kitchen is grown in the Urban Food Street neighbourhood and hand picked by Chris himself. Better still, that fresh produce is spray free and travels a total distance of 300 mt from residential street to restaurant stove, more often than not, those metres are clocked on a humble bicycle. That has got to make this one of the most sustainable food miles we know. We love this cake because its flavour speaks to how tasty simple ingredients can be, and its made from verge grown lemons. We hope you love it too!
To get started you will need;
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g castor sugar
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 275g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 100 ml buttermilk
- 4 eggs
To make the syrup you will need
- 150g castor sugar
- Juice of one lemon
To make the icing you will need
- 300g icing sugar
- About the juice of half a lemon, added until the desired consistency
- Cream the butter, sugar and zest until pale and creamy, in a mixer.
- Add 2 tbsp of the flour then add eggs one at a time. Beat well between each addition.
- Mix the remaining flour and baking powder together.
- With the mixer on low, alternate the buttermilk and flour/baking powder into the egg mixture.
- When combined, add lemon juice.
- Pour the cake mix into a greased and lined 28cm cake tin & bake for 50 minutes @ 170c until golden.
- Allow to cool on a rack then turn out.
- Make the syrup by combining the lemon juice and sugar in a pan then bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Pour the syrup over cake. Spread with a brush to soak evenly.
- Sieve icing sugar into a bowl and then add strained lemon juice.
- Combine with a spatula until your desired consistency.
- Pour icing over the cake and even out with a spatula.
VIOLA - It should look something like this!
Images snapped on location at Hungry Feel Eating House.